– Artificial Intelligence Can Identify ‘Gay Faces’ From a Picture, Study Claims – oh, man. There is nothing but bad things that can come of this. The author’s notes take pains to say they didn’t develop an algorithm, they’re just using already existing ones, which is even more scary. (thanks Stephen!)
– The Week My Husband Left And My House Was Burgled I Secured A Grant To Begin The Project That Became BRCA1 – this is the best story I’ve ever read. Take a few minutes and read it!
– For Teens Knee-Deep In Negativity, Reframing Thoughts Can Help – this is helpful. I worry about being able to help my daughter as she gets old enough to have these problems…luckily, I have a while to prepare!
– Break Up the Tech Giants? No, Just Level the Field – this seems like a more achievable goal. (yes, Uber is a taxi company, not “ride-sharing”…)
– United Airlines is testing a novel way to bump passengers – hey, this is, like, not terrible!
– I downloaded an app. And suddenly, was part of the Cajun Navy. – neat firsthand experience!
– How Hurricane Harvey Taught the World About Houston – Yay Houston! (thanks Mom!)
– Mystery of sonic weapon attacks at US embassy in Cuba deepens – scary stuff that sounds like something out of a spy novel
– Anatomy of a Moral Panic – yeah, the whole “Amazon is radicalizing people by suggesting bomb ingredients” take is a bit much…
– Beautiful 30-day time lapse of a cargo ship’s voyage – wow, look at that night sky! Very pleasant to watch.
– Nasa’s ambitious plan to save Earth from a supervolcano – great, I had forgotten how scary supervolcanoes are. From the article:
“But Yellowstone explodes roughly every 600,000 years, and it is about 600,000 years since it last exploded, which should cause us to sit up and take notice.”
– When Henry Ford’s Benevolent Secret Police Ruled His Workers – umm, creepy!
– You Don’t Need to Do a Prolonged Fast Before Surgery – interesting! (thanks David!)
– Don Draper’s Carousel Pitch, delivered by Bane – I do enjoy listening to things read in Bane’s voice…