Many moons ago, I wrote a Firefox extension to make it easy to copy an image inside a link, which is handy when posting images from a Gallery or whatnot. Since then, the Firefox extension API has changed significantly, so it stopped working a while ago.
I was inspired to revive it because Firefox Quantum just came out, and it’s much faster than it used to be! If you switched to Chrome for performance reasons, I’d invite you to check out Firefox again – it’s good to have an ecosystem of web browsers, especially one that isn’t controlled by a big company like Google or Microsoft.
Another cool thing is that Mozilla developed a language called Rust that some of the new parts of Firefox use. It’s a pretty interesting language – almost as fast as C, but more modern and supposedly it’s possible to write provably concurrency-safe code. I’m reading through the Rust book slowly…
Anyway, ThumbnailCopy is back!
So…yup, I did that!
I already had all the data for this, so it was more mechanical than anything else. Actually, most of the time I spent was turning it into a proper React app. Before I just had a bunch of inline React code, which was great for testing and simplicity, but meant that a bunch of compilation had to happen on every page load. So I bit the bullet and figured out how to use nwb and all the stuff that lets you compile React code that I don’t really care about. But it builds a pretty small JS file, which is nice.
Still a big fan of React, though!
Over the weekend I published an update to my Floating Point to Hex calculator that allows you to swap the endianness of the hex bytes! Pretty exciting, no? (the answer is: meh)
It was actually more work than it looks like, because I decided to go ahead and update the backing script to Python 3, which meant I had to recompile the C module it uses. When I was about to start doing this I was disappointed to see that I didn’t have any tests in the project, so I went ahead and wrote those before changing everything. And even before I started changing things I found a few bugs (oh negative zero, you are tricky), so it was time well-spent!
I did have to refactor a few things to make the script testable, but I can’t imagine doing a refactor with only the help of spot-checking things, which is what I used to do. Just like writing clean code, writing tests is useful for future you as well as others!
I’m not fully onboard with test-driven development, but I have started to like it a lot when I’m fixing bugs. First I reproduce the bug manually in the product, then I write a test for it that fails, then I fix it and makes sure that the test passes. Good stuff!
Friday I started working on a bug that I was surprised to see, because I had written a test that I thought should cover it. So I tried it manually in the product, and was easily able to reproduce it. I noticed some differences with the way the test was set up, so I started trying to tweak the test to get it to fail.
And I spent like 4 hours trying to do this, getting more and more frustrated. I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on!
Finally I said “whatever” and investigated the bug in the product. It took me like 10 minutes to find the cause of the bug, which also revealed why my test hadn’t caught it. Another 20 minutes later, and I was able to make a test that failed without the bug fix and passed with it.
So this is a reminder to myself: it’s OK to do things out of order sometimes!
I finished updating my floating point to hex calculator – here’s the new version! It looks a bit nicer and also shows a neat breakdown of where the bits go in IEEE 754 floating-point format. Check it out!
– I literally had to buy a React+d3.js ebook to figure out how to get all this crap set up. (the book is pretty good, by the by)
– The book recommends starting from a particular git repository. To clone that on my linux machine I had to set up some SSH key stuff, which seemed like overkill. (why do I need to do that for anonymous access?)
– To set it up, it downloads something on the order of 300 packages through npm. I wish I were exaggerating.
– React now recommends you use ES6 instead of calling React.createClass(), and there are some niceties there. But there also some stupid gotchas, like the fact that you have to call
.bind(this) on every method for it to be able to access
– For some reason I’m not able to debug with Firefox’s debugging tools. (luckily Edge seems to work well)
– I wasted an hour because the new fancy
fetch standard (not supported in some versions of IE so you need a polyfill) has a method called
text() that returns the text of the response. Wait, no, it actually returns a promise that has the text of the response. I never realized how much I liked C#’s standard of ending asynchronous methods with “Async” before…
Since I have a few projects that require passwords (most notably LJBackup), I’ve wanted to set up HTTPS on my website. I had done this with my own self-signed certificate a while back, which works but gives you a pretty scary-looking warning in various browsers. I’ve blocked out the memory of what I had to do to get this to work, but it was very painful.
So when I read about Let’s Encrypt again, I thought I’d give it a shot. They recommend using certbot to automatically enable HTTPS, and I was pretty skeptical but thought it was worth a shot.
And – wow! It totally works! It made a certificate and updated my Apache config that worked correctly out of the box. Now gregstoll.com has a pretty green lock when you visit it 🙂