– Laziness isn’t why people are poor. And iPhones aren’t why they lack health care. – this is a very good look at why people want to believe these things. Also worth noting – saying that poor people should never treat themselves to anything is not realistic or compassionate. I also feel this way about food stamps: if a family is able to save up their food stamps to enjoy a nicer meal every once in a while, why shouldn’t we allow that? (thanks David!)
– The biggest threat facing middle-age men isn’t smoking or obesity. It’s loneliness. – this is sobering. Having friends that you do stuff with is important!
– If Trump Is Innocent, Why Is He Acting So Guilty? – see, yeah. It is 100% believable to me that Putin wanted Trump to win/Hillary to lose, so the government hacked both parties and released the DNC emails via Wikileaks. But so many of his campaign officials have ties to Russia and Trump keeps lying about what’s going on that it’s getting concerning. Of course, Trump seems to lie about a lot of things, so maybe this is just his way of “counterpunching”. And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, which we don’t have yet. But still…
– In Fight Over Bail’s Fairness, a Sheriff Joins the Critics – good for the Harris County (Houston) sheriff and district attorney! (thanks David!)
– The Opioid Epidemic Is This Generation’s AIDS Crisis – wow, I didn’t realize that things were this bad. (probably because I don’t live in a rural area) My rough insensitive guideline for when something is really bad is when it causes more deaths per year than traffic fatalities (~38,000 in 2015), and this is well above that.
– The Lessons of Obamacare: What Republicans should have learned, but haven’t – health care is hard!
– How WWI food propaganda forever changed the way Americans eat – interesting! (also, I’m totally a sucker for war propaganda posters…)
– A Behavioral Economist Tries to Fix Email – man, I need something like Filtr…
– 6 Big Differences That Turn City Dwellers Into Liberals – makes a lot of sense. Also, when did cracked.com start publishing good articles?
– How Donald Trump’s Enemies Fell for a Billion Dollar Hoax – impressive detective work to find all the ways the wire transfer document was phony!
– Steve Jobs’ liver—and the quest for a better organ algorithm – tricky stuff. Also, be an organ donor!
– The CIA uses board games to train officers—and I got to play them – sounds like fun!