We moved into the new house, and between that and Vanessa being sick the last few weeks have been craaaaazy. So here’s a bunch of links!
– I went back and re-read/re-experienced 17776 and it is still amazing. If you haven’t read/experienced it, I’d encourage you to give it a shot! Its subtitle is “What football will look like in the future”, but if you like sci-fi at all you’ll probably like it. (it’s set in the year 17776)
I had re-read it a month or so after it was published and was a little disappointed, but some time away (and remembering it less well) helped me appreciate it more.
If you liked it, you should check out more of Jon Bois’s stuff. He mostly does videos, like Jeff Francoeur, my favorite worst baseball player and Randall Cunningham Seizes the Means of Production. There’s also a 17776: questions and answers post, and if you want more weird stuff here’s What the heck is a catch in the NFL, anyway? An explainer
– “Get Out of Jail Free” Cards – this is real? Why is this a thing?
– In Larry Nassar’s Case, a Single Voice Eventually Raised an Army – very brave of her to be the first non-anonymous person to speak out about Larry Nassar! See also her Op-Ed.
– Exclusive: Inside the Corrosive Workplace Culture of the Dallas Mavericks – glad this is getting rooted out. Also, from the article:
While sources referred to the Mavericks office as a “locker room culture,” the team’s actual locker room was a refuge. Says one female former senior staffer: “I dealt with players all the time. I had hundreds of interactions with players and never once had an issue…they always knew how to treat people. Then I’d go to the office and it was this zoo, this complete shitshow. My anxiety would go down dealing with players; it would go up when I got to my desk.”
– How to Maintain Friendships – this is good advice. I’m bad at a lot of these and I’m going to try to do better.
– It’s Time to End the Scam of Flying Pets – sigh. Like the article says, there are definitely people that need this, but other people have ruined it.
– In Baltimore, Brazen Officers Took Every Chance to Rob and Cheat – yiiikes
– Here’s Why Texans Can’t Use That Google Selfie App To Find Their Fine Art Facsimile – wow, Texas is surprisingly forward-thinking about this!
– Preventive Care Saves Money? Sorry, It’s Too Good to Be True – surprising, but it still improves quality of life, which is worth it!
– The Teens Will Save Us – this is inspiring!
– Trump and Russia Both Seek to Exacerbate the Same Political Divisions – ugh, this is depressing.
– Americans Are Rising to This Historic Moment – …but maybe things will be OK?
– Why I don’t use my real photo when messaging with customers on my website – because people are terrible, is why.
– A Carnival cruise in the South Pacific descended into violent anarchy – um, yikes!
– The Follower Factory – interesting look at bots on Twitter.