– People are dying because we misunderstand how those with addiction think – I found this to be helpful, as this is me:
Most of us have been trained to use more forgiving language when talking about addiction. We call it a disease. We say that people with addiction should be helped, not blamed. But deep down, many of us still have trouble avoiding the thought that they could stop using if they just tried harder.
This article is a helpful counterpoint, and a reminder that “just say no” is not a very helpful piece of advice. (thanks David!)
– 100 years of tax brackets, in one chart – this is both a rebuttal to “taxes are so complicated because of all of the brackets” and a really cool chart! (thanks David!)
– How Bill Russell stopped Charles Barkley from complaining about taxes – I honestly like Charles Barkley a lot.
– Citigroup CEO explains why tax cuts outweigh Trump tweets – the GOP tax bill was a huge giveaway to large companies, and they know it 😦
– The Myth of the Criminal Immigrant – I hesitate to even share stuff like this because I doubt looking at facts will change anyone’s mind. But for the record, here are some facts!
– Those 2-Minute Walk Breaks? They Add Up – walk walk walk!
– The best parts of Comey’s book have nothing to do with Trump – lawyers get a bad rap, sometimes deservedly so, but they’ve been very important in restraining the executive branch of government. (thanks David!)
– Be careful what you copy: Invisibly inserting usernames into text with Zero-Width Characters – clever, but daaaaang this is why we can’t have nice things. (it even works if you copy/paste to Notepad and then copy from there )
– Obamacare’s Very Stable Genius – maybe Obamacare will be OK after all… (thanks David!)
– “The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades – nicely researched look at the El Faro disaster. As a morbid fan of airplane crash investigations, part of it reminded me of this airplane crash in which time lag on weather reports was also a factor. (as in most of these situations, there’s a whole chain of events so it’s hard to say which was the one “cause”…)
– An animated “music video” of similar satellite imagery – this is neat and oddly hypnotic. (and short!)