- Negative Mount Pleasant: A small town in Wisconsin becomes the site of a completely unprecedented experiment. – the transcript of this was riveting and did not go where I expected. Really hoping that Amazon’s whole HQ2 stunt will make people reconsider corporate welfare to entice companies to specific areas. (it is bad)
- The myth of self-control: Psychologists say using willpower to achieve goals is overhyped. Here’s what actually works. – basically, you just want to try to avoid temptation in the first place. Also that picture of a plate of macarons looks delicious and I want to eat them, but I can’t because it’s just a picture. See – it works!
- Dr. Elon & Mr. Musk: Life Inside Tesla’s Production Hell – personally this isn’t shocking, but still…yikes. Also, this:
During another, he noticed that an executive was missing and called him. The man’s wife had recently given birth, and he explained that he was taking time off as she recuperated. Musk was angry. At a minimum, you should be on phone calls, Musk told the man. Having a kid doesn’t prevent you from being on the phone. (A Tesla spokesperson said that while Musk “was once upset that a particular executive did not dial into an important conference call several days after his child was born,” the company would not penalize an employee for taking paternity leave.)
…you kinda have to feel bad for the Tesla spokesperson, no?
“He would get really emotional,” this person told me—and that’s why he sometimes seemed callous, “because what’s one person’s feelings compared to the fate of billions? Elon cares a lot about humanity, but he doesn’t really care about individual people all that much.” (A Tesla spokesperson said Musk “very much cares about individual people.”)
- What made solar panels so cheap? Thank government policy. – this is a good thing to study, but I was struck by the fact that solar panels have dropped in price by 99 percent over the last 40 years! That’s amazing!
- The Reason Many Ultrarich People Aren’t Satisfied With Their Wealth – unsurprisingly, comparing your wealth to other people’s is a great way to never feel rich/content.
- Google Tweaks Email Program That Assumed An Investor Was Male – this is not even the most egregious example of this sort of thing, but there’s a reason people say “machine learning is like money laundering for bias”…
- Changes In Brain Scans Seen After A Single Season Of Football For Young Players – it’s hard to say what exactly the changes mean, but they’re probably not good.
- This ’80s PBS Show Made It Cool To Love Math – yaaaaaaay Square One! (also, loving math always was and remains cool!)
- U.S. Life Expectancy Drops Amid ‘Disturbing’ Rise In Overdoses And Suicides – a reminder that the opioid epidemic is very, very bad in the US. (deaths by drug overdose are up around 4x since 1999!)
- A charity just admitted that its program wasn’t working. That’s a big deal. – yay for evidence-based charities!
- How I changed the law with a GitHub pull request: Washington DC has made GitHub the authoritative digital source for DC laws. – cool!
- Fox News Isn’t A Normal Media Company. We Have To Stop Treating It Like One. – shunning can work!