– Russian-Owned LiveJournal Bans Political Talk, Adds Risk of Spying – so, yeah…probably time to ditch LiveJournal if you haven’t already 😦
– How Does Populism Turn Authoritarian? Venezuela Is a Case in Point – scary stuff.
– What if Barry Bonds had played without a baseball bat? – I clicked on this because, hey, baseball! But this video was both wildly entertaining and really interesting. I was very impressed by the way he did a bunch of work with data and then did a bunch of work to make an interesting story out of it. Then I started looking up the rest of the Chart Party series which led me to SBNation’s Pretty Good series by the same guy and now I’m hooked!
– Film Crit Hulk Smash: P.C. Culture Vs. The Big Joke – this is the best description of “PC culture” and 4chan, Breitbart, and Milo I’ve read. (thanks Ben L!)
– TrumpBeat: ‘I Realized It’s Not So Easy’ – so yeah, this is an easy thing to (rightfully!) make fun of, and it’s not a good thing if Trump really just agrees with the last person to talk to him, but I find it hopeful that he is willing to listen and change his mind when he’s wrong. (you know, sometimes)
– Our Dishonest President – speaking of Trump, this is a pretty remarkable series of editorials from the LA Times.
– Trump Threatens Health Subsidies to Force Democrats to Bargain – also speaking of Trump, here he is threatening to make health insurance unaffordable for millions of people to gain “leverage” over the Democrats. Pretty terrible!
– Justice Thomas’s Doubts About Civil Forfeiture – this is promising!
– I Went to the ‘Contact’ Radio Telescope with the Astrophysicist Behind Twitter’s All-Time Sickest Burn – reads like hyperbole but that may, in fact, be Twitter’s sickest burn. Anyway, good interview and I followed her on Twitter!
– Want to pay off a student’s lunch account in Austin? Here’s how – honestly not sure how to feel about this: happy that people are helping out kids, or angry that this is necessary in the first place?
– A.I. Versus M.D. – What happens when diagnosis is automated? – interesting look at how AI may or may not help doctors.
– This is a pretty great website for a copywriter – just move the slider from left to right!
– Texas plans to designate official state gun along with other weapons – oh, Texas! (thanks Stephen!)
– United Passenger “Removal”: A Reporting and Management Fail – a good look at some aspects that haven’t been covered much. (also worth noting: “Calculated misery”: how airlines profit from your miserable flying experience – thanks David!)
– Windows 10 gets major update as Windows Vista reaches its end of life – a good look back at Vista here and why it was (somewhat) unfairly maligned. (thanks Adam!)
– Turning Negative Thinkers Into Positive Ones – compassion and kindness FTW!
– How to Find Your Missing Keys and Stop Losing Other Things – very practical advice. I used to lose things pretty often, but I’ve gotten better at tending to put things down in the same places, so it’s easy to exhaustively search them.