– Behind the Lens: 2016 Year in Photographs – this set of pictures from the White House just makes me more depressed about the next four years.
– Finland launches basic income experiment with Jan. 1 cheques for those in pilot project – will be very interesting to see how this works out. Also, as I’m in the middle of this Viking Economics book I’m totally not surprised a Nordic country is pioneering this…
– Ransomware Spreading Onto Smart TVs, Is A Pain To Fix – this is why I (and most technologically-inclined people I know) just want dumb devices. Anything that’s “smart” and connected to the Internet is another thing that can be compromised for a botnet or ransomware…and it’s hard enough to get phones to get software updates and security fixes, let alone your toaster!
– Dallas is getting a $600 million urban park that’s more than 11 times as large as Central Park – well, it’s not often I say this, but…*shudders*…Kudos, Dallas!
– An Alarm Designer on How to Annoy People in the Most Effective Ways – important for things like airplanes and medical devices!
– 80s covers of contemporary pop songs – hah, that 80’s version of “Somebody I Used to Know” is great!
– Mathematicians bring ocean to life for Disney’s ‘Moana’ – the ocean in the movie is very pretty!
– Productivity in Terrible Times – sadly topical!