– So I guess we have to talk about this Clinton Foundation stuff. The best two articles I’ve seen about this are Vox’s The AP’s big exposé on Hillary meeting with Clinton Foundation donors is a mess and how media approaches the Clinton Foundation story through a politics lens. This is the kind of “scandal” that was extremely common under Bill Clinton – people investigate something, find nothing really wrong but then insinuate that there must be something wrong (because it’s the Clintons!) if we just investigated more. Doesn’t that fact that people did investigate and didn’t find anything suggest that maybe nothing was really wrong? (see also: Travelgate, Whitewater, Hairgate, Vince Foster, etc., etc., etc.)
– Is Obama’s Drone War Moral? – an interesting look at the morality of drone warfare. I understand (per the article) that keeping things secret about why we choose particular targets makes it harder to judge whether it’s right to target them, but I don’t see a realistic way around this.
– WikiLeaks outs gay people in Saudi Arabia in ‘reckless’ mass data dump – harmful and pointless. Why publish data about ordinary citizens? This is how I felt when they published unredacted diplomatic cables (just to embarrass the US?), except this is obviously worse.
– Colombia and FARC Reach Deal to End the Americas’ Longest War – great news!
– Quick Charge and USB-C: Navigating the Next Generation of USB Charging – a great primer on how charging works. My phone has USB-C and it’s great! (except for the part where all my old cables are now useless)
– Went on a Weeklong Cruise For Conspiracy Theorists. It Ended Poorly. – starts off kinda funny, ends up sad and depressing. Also: grrrrr Andrew Wakefield!
– How Nextdoor reduced racist posts by 75% – neat!
– More of Kremlin’s Opponents Are Ending Up Dead – well, that’s not good. Pretty creepy stuff.
– Every Joke from ‘Airplane!’ Ranked – pretty much what the title says. I had some quibbles here and there, but all in all it was a fun read! (some NSFW stills from the movie)
– How the KKK Scammed Its Members for Cash – apparently the KKK was more of a pyramid scheme in the 1920s than a hate group. Although there were definitely lynchings while they were active, the number of KKK members doesn’t seem to correlate with the number of lynchings.