Apologies for all the politics here – I try to get a good mix of links, but there are so many crazy things happy I couldn’t keep a lid on it this time.
– The controversy over Donald Trump’s ties to Russia, explained (after this article was posted, Trump said asking the Russians to find Hillary’s emails was a joke, which is possible I guess?) For what it’s worth, people who know about such things say that the evidence for the DNC email hack points pretty solidly to Russia. These are crazy times…
– I’m pro-life. And I’m voting for Hillary. Here’s why. – very thoughtful article about how “pro-life” may not necessarily mean “vote for the person who wants to outlaw abortion”. (thanks David!)
– Police and Me and Philando Castile – A very well-written article about why people have such different reactions to police shootings. (thanks David!)
– Is It Just Me, Or Is the World Going Crazy? – some unnecessary NSFW language, but a good read about how freedom means compromising and not always getting what you want.
– The Country’s Worst Anti-Voting Law Was Just Struck Down in North Carolina – so about voter ID laws: on their face they didn’t sound unreasonable to me, but the fact that actual voter fraud is so incredibly rare is certainly suspicious. But man, read this article! After the pre-clearance from the Voting Rights Act was overturned by the Supreme Court, the North Carolina legislature asked for data about the racial breakdown of who voted when (early vs. not) and what ID they used, then passed a law that got rid of the things that African Americans used more than whites. (and didn’t deal with absentee ballot fraud, which there are alleged cases of, but whites use more than African Americans) That is pretty despicable, and good for the court for striking the law down.
– How Does This Hedge-Fund Manager Make So Much Money? – ummmm this is so clearly some sort of fraud or Ponzi scheme it’s not even funny. The fund has had three different auditors in the last four years, and the guy who runs it guarantees you will never lose money? Yowza!
– Feeling Guilty About Not Flossing? Maybe There’s No Need – whaaaaat?
– Harnessing the Immune System to Fight Cancer – exciting stuff!
– WATCH: Harlem Globetrotter makes baffling shot from 110-foot swing – the author is really down on this for some reason, but just watch the video – it’s cool!