– How to Register and Vote Early Before the Presidential Election – there’s plenty of time to register to vote; do it today! As we saw with Brexit, just because nobody thinks something will win doesn’t mean it won’t happen. If you don’t want to see a President Trump, vote!
– The Fining of Black America – this is pretty terrible. Prairie View is at #56 (which is where Sandra Bland was pulled over), while bizarrely so is River Oaks at #97. Although the River Oaks I’m thinking of is in Houston and wildly affluent (it’s where George H. W. Bush used to live), but the median income in that table is $42K, so maybe it’s some other River Oaks?
– The Governing Cancer of Our Time – everyone complains about “politics” (myself included!), but the alternatives seem to be either do nothing or be ruled by a despot. It’s worrying that compromise is now a dirty word. (thanks David!)
– The “Cobra Effect” that is disabling paste on password fields – I don’t run into these too often, but it infuriates me when I do! Web designers: do NOT do this!
– When the Eight-Member Supreme Court Avoids Deadlocks, It Leans Left – neat visualization of Supreme Court leanings over time. Although I think a one-axis “left vs. right” view is not the most helpful here – while the court has been leaning left on social issues, it is extremely business-friendly. (thanks Stephen!)
– Can You Get Over an Addiction? – interesting look at addiction and how we maybe misunderstand it. (thanks David!)
– The “Other Side” Is Not Dumb – trying to understand the “other side”‘s arguments is usually helpful, although it’s exhausting to do this all the time. (what’s the “other side” about Obama birther arguments, for example?)
– How ‘Advantage Players’ Game the Casinos – this sounds like a fun way to make a living. (I’m not sure how I feel about the ethics of this, though)