friday linked list: most and least tolerant states, primary turnout versus general election turnout

Most anti-gay city? What Twitter shows about tolerance in America – interesting results, as I wouldn’t have expected Wyoming and Montana to be the most tolerant states. But there’s probably some bias based on who from those states is on Twitter. Also, those states may be more homogeneous than most, and I think there’s some evidence that you’re less likely to say racist comments if (for example) you don’t often see African-Americans around. (thanks Stephen!)

Pandemic Legacy is the best board game ever—but is it “fun?” – yes, it is fun. Sheesh! (thanks David!)

When Whites Just Don’t Get It, Part 6 – pretty depressing that “a black applicant with a clean criminal record did no better than a white applicant who was said to have just been released from 18 months in prison.”

Primary Turnout Means Nothing For The General Election – pretty surprising to me, but apparently true!

Donald Trump Hates Women – not a huge surprise he’s 70% of women don’t like him either

Is There a Better Way to Vote, Post-Trump? – I’m surprised that I haven’t read more articles about how part of Trump’s rise is due to the fact that we have a simple “first choice” voting system. If there are 17 candidates running, and one of them has fervent support from 30% of the people, that candidate will win even if the other 70% of the people hate him. Some form of instant runoff voting would help, but as the article points out there are problems with that, too. Sigh.

Barney Frank Is Not Impressed by Bernie Sanders – yikes, some sick burns in there. But I generally agree – saying “everyone is corrupt” is perhaps true on some level, but if you want to get things done you have to be willing to work with people you disagree with.

Randall Munroe, XKCD creator, is having some of his drawings included in high school textbooks and this is just great for everyone involved. Good job, everyone!

How to Hack an Election – wow, this guy claims to have rigged a bunch of elections in Latin America. (not “rigged” like manipulated vote totals, “rigged” like Nixonian dirty tricks)

Life in Technicolor — One month wearing EnChroma’s color blindness-fixing glasses – it amazes me that this actually works! (thanks David!)

How a former lobbyist became the broadband industry’s worst nightmare – yeah, I remember being skeptical of him when he was appointed. But good for him for avoiding regulatory capture! (thanks David!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s