I was going to separate these into politics and non-politics links, but it turns out most of them would have been in the politics category (depending how broadly you define “politics”). So: nevermind!
– How Tim Cook, in iPhone Battle, Became a Bulwark for Digital Privacy – I am honestly a little torn about this whole thing, but it’s nice to see Tim Cook/Apple go to bat for privacy.
– Resetting the Post-Scalia Supreme Court – a more complete look at Scalia’s legacy
– Trump’s Il Duce Routine – we’re all to the point where we realize that Trump could actually get elected, right? And that democracies don’t necessarily last forever?
– We’ve lost sight of how wildly irresponsible the Republican tax plans are – it’s easy to get distracted by Trump, but Rubio’s and Cruz’s tax cuts are equally impossible to implement without causing huge deficits. (and Rubio wants a balanced budget amendment!) Now I’m sympathetic to campaign promises not being achievable – for example Obama promised to close Guantanamo Bay, and it looks like that isn’t going to happen. But it’s not for lack of trying, and these “budgets” are so far detached from reality that nothing even close to them is going to happen.
Some of the discrepancy comes because they all claim that their plans would make GDP grow so fast that they’ll pay for themselves! (this is known as “dynamic scoring”) But there’s no reason to think this will happen.
– Varieties of Voodoo – Sadly, paying for Bernie’s plans for free college and single payer health care don’t add up either. Even if you like his plans, we should have an honest discussion about how to pay for them, as opposed to trying to hoodwink people. Honesty matters!
– The Gadfly and the Grinder – an excellent short article that shows why I’m for Hillary. I am pragmatic to a fault in my life, so I’m voting for the Grinder! (yes, she’s not a perfect candidate, etc., etc.)
– Zika Virus Rumors and Theories That You Should Doubt – I’ve seen the larvicide theory going around my Facebook feed.
– HPV Sharply Reduced in Teenage Girls Following Vaccine, Study Says – vaccines work!
– This 43-tweet story explains how black kids are treated by America’s criminal justice system – a bit linkbaity, but it’s from a lawyer talking about an actual case.
– Texas Republicans Disavow Foul-Mouthed Election Winner – for some NSFW quotes, see Travis County GOP Apoplectic Over New Chairman.
– Dirty Hands: A cheating scandal in the world of professional bridge – wow, some of these are pretty intricate. (for non-bridge players: yes, just knowing what to lead can be a huge advantage)