– The Myth of Welfare’s Corrupting Influence on the Poor – another article about how cash transfers are a more effective way of fighting poverty than food stamps, etc. Apparently I will post one of these articles every week until the US changes our welfare programs 🙂
– Employer Paternalism: Making It Easy for the Risk-Averse to Say ‘Yes’ to a Job – The National Review(!) kind of sweeps aside the abuses of the “company town”, but if you can get past the gratuitous swipes at liberals there are some good ideas here. (thanks Emily!) I think this is a great idea:
The way we do things now, we essentially say: “Okay, buddy, here’s your $460 check. You have 25 weeks left, so you’d better get a job.” We could instead say: “Okay, buddy, here’s your $460 check. Your maximum remaining benefit is $11,540. If you get a job this week rather than collecting unemployment for the full 26-week period, we’ll give you 70 percent of what’s left, which is about $8,000.” For a significant number of lower-income households, that $8,000 would mean paying off all credit-card debt or owning their car free and clear. For most of them, it would more than cover the cost of relocating to a new place to take a new job.
– What Could Raising Taxes on the 1% Do? Surprising Amounts – when you say “the top 1%” it sounds like raising taxes on them wouldn’t help, but when wealth inequality is as high as it is, the top 1% have a lot of money…
– Y’all, Norwegians Use The Word “Texas” As Slang To Mean “Crazy” – wow, it’s true!
– Meet Composer Caroline Shaw, Kanye West’s New Pulitzer Prize-Winning Collaborator – winning a Pulitzer was one thing, but now I know someone who has recorded with Kanye! (“Say You Will” is a great song – have a listen!)
– Adele Says ‘Hello’ In First Video From Her New Album ’25’ – gorgeous song! I’m pretty sure I would like Adele singing from the phone book, though, her voice is just so rich…
– These researchers have discovered the perfect password that’s also easy to remember – oh man, now I want all my passwords to be rhyming poems! Dibs on
And British fiction engineer
Travolta captured bombardier
– ‘Back to the Future’ Writer: Biff Tannen Is Based on Donald Trump – having just watched the movie again, this is not exactly subtle…