(thanks to Pai, I think, for the new name!)
– The Ferguson Protests Worked – interesting look at why civil unrest is sometimes necessary to make change happen.
– A Simple Fix for Drunken Driving – neat, although I don’t think that full abstinence is necessary for all alcoholics. (see this Atlantic article) I do think that one of the things we’re going to look back on in astonishment in 50 years is that we let everyone drive 2 ton vehicles next to each other down the highway at 65 miles per hour.
– Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace – this is a big exposé about working at Amazon that ran a few weeks ago. It started a lot of conversations at work…that environment sounds pretty toxic!
– Target is moving away from gender-based signs for toys and such. Hooray!
– The Real War on Families: Why the U.S. Needs Paid Leave Now – the US is just embarrassingly bad here. (thanks Jessica!)
– Call off the bee-pocalypse: U.S. honeybee colonies hit a 20-year high – yay, I think!
– A Former Baltimore Cop Explains, on Camera, Why Police Are So Violent Toward Black Men – informative and kind of chilling.
– Oracle security chief to customers: Stop checking our code for vulnerabilities – there is a kernel of truth in there that automated scanners can find a lot of false positives. But saying that their software is secure because they have some certifications is pretty ridiculous…
– High Tech Hope for Repelling Mosquitoes – sounds promising. (thanks David!)
– Say hi-diddily-ho to a Ned Flanders-themed metal band – um, sure, why not!