I leave tomorrow! In my absence, here are some links to chew on:
– The Time Everyone “Corrected” the World’s Smartest Woman – if you haven’t read the saga of Marilyn vos Savant and the Monty Hall Problem, it’s good stuff. Also a good reminder to not be a jerk if you’re correcting someone, because you might be wrong, and then you’ll look like twice the jerk!
– Straight Talk for White Men – Privilege is a real thing, and while that doesn’t mean you can’t have opinions about things, it’s a good idea to a) recognize that you do have privilege b) be aware that you have unconscious biases and try to work against them.
– States Weigh Legislation to Let Businesses Refuse to Serve Gay Couples – ugh. Although it seems like these sorts of bills aren’t likely to pass in more than a few states (looking at you, Alabama, on general principles!)
– The Millionaire Panhandler: Separating the Facts from the Myths Surrounding Panhandling – spoiler alert: they’re not millionaires.
– Meet the man who could own Aviva France – the short version is: allowing people to buy stock at last week’s price is a crazy, crazy idea.
– Interviews with Oscar voters reveal they are kind of awful, vaguely racist – well, that was disillusioning. Here’s a link to the whole collection of interviews if you’d like to maximize your disillusionment. (stop voting in categories when you haven’t seen all the movies, people!)