– You’ve heard that US schools are only like 30th best in the world, right? Well, it turns out if you exclude schools that have a lot of poor kids our schools rank way better. The root of the problem seems to be poverty. (thanks David!)
– How The New York Times Works – pretty interesting series of vignettes about the people that make the New York Times.
– Frame Jobs – an article about baseball statistics _and_ it praises Brad Ausmus! Short version: catchers really can make their pitchers better.
– In defense of boredom: Why your phone is killing your creativity – yeah, I’m not very good at this…something to work on, I guess.
– Top 10 Lifehacker Posts of All Time – pretty useful stuff!
– Do Gays Unsettle You? Same-Sex Marriage, Republican Scorn and Unfinished Work – yeah, the laws are changing so fast but attitudes change more slowly.
– Nobody Understands Debt – a country being in debt is not like a household being in debt!
– Napping reverses health effects of poor sleep – hooray for naps!
– If you like logic puzzles and/or/math, here’s a neat puzzle about, well, information theory.
– The Man Who Destroyed America’s Ego – interesting story about one of the people who punctured the “self-esteem bubble”.
– Why Walmart Raised Its Wages – yay! The market works! (today, anyway)