I am running out of words for “big” here…I remember a time when I’d post these every week or so. To be fair, this one goes back to before we were in Hawaii, about which I will post pictures when I have the energy.
– I’m quitting football – sadly, I am too. Which hurts, because not only does football have the perfect number of games per season, but it’s exciting and a real cultural bonding point. (and I don’t want this to come off as a “holier than thou” stance…) But the thing that really got me was the head injuries and the fact that players are often on painkillers during games so they can perform. And I don’t see how the game can possibly change to fix these issues without becoming something else entirely. (see also Brain Trauma to Affect One in Three Players, N.F.L. Agrees, which is pretty horrifying)
– Hit the Reset Button in Your Brain – or, taking breaks/vacation is really good for your brain. I will admit to lightly browsing through my work email while on vacation, but I didn’t think about it much, and it was nice 🙂
– If programming languages were weapons – this was spot-on, at least for the languages I’ve used. (although, really, C# is pretty excellent!)
– How to Get Ahead as a Woman in Tech: Interrupt Men – this is both depressing and uplifting. Just interrupt more, women, I guess! (thanks Christi!)
– The Law-School Scam – to be clear, this is talking about for-profit law schools, and it sounds like they’re borderline scamming the government for federal aid for their students.
– Can the Crowd Solve Medical Mysteries? – obviously this wouldn’t scale, but in truly desperate cases this sounds very promising.
– After Surgery, Surprise $117,000 Medical Bill From Doctor He Didn’t Know – ack! One more reason why medicine (especially when you’re in the hospital!) is not a free market at all…there’s no pricing transparency at all.
– How to Be Polite – this is kind of a weird article, but it seems like there’s some good advice in there.
– Introducing Tweet-a-Program – hey, that’s pretty cool! I wish I remembered my Mathematica syntax…
– The Secret Rules of Adjective Order – neat, there are rules that explain why “big red barn” sounds good while “red big barn” sounds weird!