It’s tough to start with a blank app – I always want an About page and some other things. Since Universal apps are all the rage for Windows and Windows Phone, I made a universal app template to help get you started!
This template provides:
– About pages that are shared between Windows and Windows Phone, including links to other apps, to contact the author, to review the app, etc.
– Settings that are persisted and the user can set (in an about page)
– A first-run tutorial
– WinUniversalTemplate.zip – universal app template
Create the directory
<My Documents>Visual Studio 2013TemplatesProjectTemplatesVisual C# and download the template to that directory. Next time you start Visual Studio 2013, you should have a “Hub About App (Universal Apps)” entry under Templates/Visual C#.
– The template is based on the Universal Hub template – right now that seemed like the best choice since the Universal empty template doesn’t have support for navigation, etc.
– I constructed the various About pages so they could be shared between Windows and Windows Phone. That was a bit more awkward than I had expected – if it becomes a burden for you, feel free to split them up. (if you have any questions, feel free to contact me!)
– There are instructions in the README.txt file on how to customize or disable the first-run tutorial.
– UserSettings class and settings page
– About page with contact info and review button
– Page for linking to other apps
– First-run tutorial
Problems? Feedback? More things you’d like to see in the template? Let me know at @gregstoll or firstname.lastname@example.org!
See all my Windows Phone development posts.
I’m planning on writing more posts about Windows Phone development – what would you like to hear about? Reply here, on twitter at @gregstoll, or by email at email@example.com.