– Is It Nuts to Give to the Poor Without Strings Attached? – maybe not! This reminds me of the idea of an unconditional basic income, which I think is an idea worth considering.
– Orson Scott Card Worries About Obama Turning “Urban Gangs” Into His Personal Police Force – siiiiiigh. I realize the article in question is titled “Unlikely Events”, but there’s a lot of crazy packed in there.
– What Snowden and Manning Don’t Understand About Secrecy – sure to be controversial, but I think I mostly agree. Leaking something because there’s a particular thing that the government is doing that is wrong/illegal is one thing, but leaking thousands of documents indiscriminately is quite another. (although Snowden’s leak seemed closer to the first kind than Manning’s)
– A good collection of findings that voter ID laws can be discriminatory. I’m not sure if they’re targeting minorities specifically, but they certainly affect low-income people much more than higher-income.
– ‘Dear Dylan’: The Wonkblog advice column for everything – this is so good! (thanks Gary!)
– Poll: Louisiana GOPers Unsure If Katrina Response Was Obama’s Fault – not from the Onion! But an excellent example of whatever the cognitive bias is where if someone is “bad” then everything they do is therefore bad, and vice versa.
– The God of ‘SNL’ Will See You Now – fun anecdotes from people auditioning for Saturday Night Live.