– If The Catholic Church Were A Business, How Would You Fix It? – I heard this story on NPR and immediately thought “this is going to be a stupid story”. It ended up being OK, but the most interesting part in the radio version was the guy who pointed out the church started out with 11 people 2000 years ago and is now at a size of 1.2 billion, which is an annual growth rate of 1%. I immediately thought “that doesn’t sound right, that’s too small”, but it turns out it’s actually a little less (0.93%). Compound interest wins again!
– Rob Portman, a senator from Ohio, is now for gay marriage after his son came out to him. It’s a little disappointing that he didn’t change his mind until someone close to him came out, but that’s the power of knowing a gay person. It’s progress, and I’ll take it!
– The Difference Between a Happy Marriage and Miserable One: Chores – interesting article, with examples.
– SXSW and Reddit’s Introspection Problem – this is extremely depressing. She raised some good points about problems with Reddit, and then she got personally attacked in terrible ways. Somehow trolls on twitter bother me more than anonymous comment trolls.
– The Professor, the Bikini Model and the Suitcase Full of Trouble – a well-told story by the New York Times.
– A video of a fan accompanying Billy Joel; it will warm your heart, especially after the last two links!