– When I talked about Paul Ryan’s tax plan, one of my complaints was that the plan talks about closing tax loopholes, but didn’t specify which ones. Here’s a handy list of the deductions and how much they cost, and you see how hard this would actually be. Two of the three most expensive ones are pretty popular (mortgage interest and 401(k)), and of course one of the the fourth most expensive one is “lower rate on dividends and capital gains”, which the Ryan plan would actually make a bigger deduction by taking the rate down to 0%!
– Speaking of Paul Ryan, there were a lot of lies in his convention speech last night.
– Stop Using The Cup of Coffee vs. $0.99 App Analogy – a good article on paid apps. Apparently a lot of people are making money with apps by making them free with ads (and in-app purchases). Maybe I should aim for this model more, but I’m apparently atypical because I like paying for apps and am not a huge fan of ads in apps. But getting people to pay is a big hurdle, and “free” is very enticing…
– Why Johnny can’t stream: How video copyright went insane – a good Ars Technica article about how ridiculous streaming/time-shifting laws are.
– New Zealand is taking a step towards legalizing same-sex marriage, and they say the catalyst was Obama’s endorsement of the same!
– This is old news, but SpaceX got a NASA contract to work on the next Space Shuttle and take people back into space. Congratulations to them, and I heart SpaceX so bad it hurts!
– Gotye made a “Somebody That I Used to Know” mashup of YouTube performances of the song, which is pretty cool. (and features Pentatonix’s a capella version)
– Did you know you can totally buy a 3D printer for under $2,000? I did not.
– Another awesome Old Spice ad – this one’s interactive!
– Astros Not Even Good Enough To Play For Pride – from the Onion, but still, the truth hurts.