– Since Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage, support for same-sex marriage in Maryland has gone up 12%, almost entirely from blacks. One word: wowowowowow! Minds have been changed!
– If you’re at all interested in Windows 8, the Building Windows 8 blog is full of juicy content, like this ridiculously long post about the Windows user experience, past and present. For developers, the Windows 8 app developer blog has a lot of good posts, too.
– I feel like I’ve posted this before, but here’s a good summary of how to spend your money to make yourself happier (buy experiences instead of things, help others instead of yourself, etc.)
– An interesting-looking new book says 20 minutes of being active provide a ton of benefits.
– When half a million Americans died and nobody noticed – wow, could Vioxx really responsible for that??
– Interesting look at Microsoft’s “Signature” service to clean off a bunch of crapware the PC makers include. It’s nice that you can buy computers from Microsoft Stores, and although some people are making fun of the fact that you can pay $99 and bring in a PC you bought elsewhere to get cleaned off, I think it makes sense. Presumably the PC maker got kickbacks for including that AOL (or whatever the modern equivalent is) software and that made the PC cheaper, so you’re just paying more to offset that.
– Iran photoshopped a missile test image…but forgot to take Jar-Jar Binks out. (the image they posted was a joke created after the last time they photoshopped an image of a missile test!)
– An algorithm to help you play the perfect game of Battleship – looks neat, but I’m skeptical about this. His analysis only holds if you assume the position of the ships is random, and if you know your opponent is using Berry’s new algorithm, couldn’t you deliberately try to place your ships in “unlikely” places? (thanks Jessica!)
– A good discussion of the ESPP tax rules, which are pretty complicated. There are graphs!
– Polarization is real, and mostly on the Republican side.
– Check out this crazy non-stick coating invented at MIT – it makes ketchup flow out of a bottle like, well, a liquid!
– For Eurovision fans: a look at which countries tend to vote for each other.
– Why People Loved webOS – so true.