– Is Windows Phone’s consumer focus killing it? – sad article suggesting that one reason WP7 isn’t succeeding is that the carriers can’t customize it enough. (i.e. bundle crapware, etc.)
– Bishops Say Rules on Gay Parents Limit Freedom of Religion – this is one of the toughest areas where the rights of the Catholic Church to serve who they want meet the principle of the government not funding groups who discriminate. I think the government’s made the right call here, but it’s very tricky. (also: Catholic Charities received almost $3 billion from the government in 2010? I had no idea they received so much…)
– A long article about how hard it is to lose weight for some (most?) people, and how your body works against you. Depressing!
– Information about “Big Bird” was just declassified: in the 70’s we were taking extremely high resolution pictures of the Earth and then jettisoning the film canisters to be collected in midair!
– Everything You Know About Education Is Wrong – money isn’t enough, and teacher feedback and instructional time matter.
Year end stuff:
– The 11 best psychology books of 2011 – I got “Thinking, Fast and Slow” for Christmas and haven’t read any of the others…
– Finally, a best articles of 2011 list if you’re looking for more time to waste.